Monday, October 24, 2011

Fall Table Bushel

Hey y'all! Since my favorite season is fall, I thought I'd share a centerpiece I made this week. It was really quick, easy, and cheap! Can't complain about that. Here it is!


First, I picked up some free paint samples from the store. I chose colors that went with the fall theme I was going for. They even had some with leaves! Who would've thought?

Paint Samples - FREE

Then, I grabbed an old book that I bought from a garage sale for
20 cents. It looked like it might have some nature-type text, and
by golly, it did! 

Book - 20 cents

I flipped through it to find sections about LEAVES, since that was the theme of my project.

Heck, I even learned a few facts while crafting.

Chlorophyll - more like Bore-o-phyll!

Next, I cut the text into squares - the same size as the paint samples that I cut earlier. To me, I didn't matter if I cut words off - but I wanted to make sure I kept certain words like "autumn" and "leaves."


Then, I crumpled these up and opened them back up again. Who knows why - I guess I like the look of imperfection. Next, I used the leaf-print paint sample to cut letters spelling "F A L L"


Then, I bordered the letters in different colored paint samples to make them "pop." I glued the book pages and the letters to the paint samples and let them dry in a book overnight to make sure they were flat. Next, I punched holes in the top and threaded them together some good ole' garage sale twine. While these people sold it is beyond me - I've used it thrice already!

 Punch

Thread

I originally was going to include beads, but then decided it looked too busy. Once I had my "garland," I tied it to a bushel I bought from a garage sale. I filled the bushel with cardboard pieces to make the contents show. Then, I filled it with mini pumpkins, an old washboard, and some decorative wheat. 

The Finished Display

Cost Breakdown
Pumpkins - $3.00
Wheat - 50 cents (last season's clearance)
Garland - 20 cents (from book)
Washboard - 50 cents (garage sale)
Bushel - 50 cents (garage sale)

TOTAL COST - $4.70

 I just tied some scrap measuring tape on there for fun!

Gosh, I just love fall colors.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, HERE'S what happens when you try to make a Wheaten Terrier pose with a pumpkin...

 Is this a treat, ma?

Yum! Tastes like a bone!

Hey! Give me my treat back! I didn't do anything wrong, Ma.


SOMEBODY needs his beard brushed. Not naming any names.


Take Time for Lemonade,

2 comments:

  1. Love the pretty banner AND the dog! BTW, as a Pixie Dust follower, you are invited to pop over & enter a giveaway for an awesome clock. Good luck & thanks for reading!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete