Friday, January 20, 2012

Grandma's Trinket Box

I created a quick gift for my grandma - inspired by what she loves and the things that remind me of her. It's for her birthday! She's a very special person in my life, and I love her SO much.

So, I started with this little trinket box. I thought it was really cool! I bought it from a garage sale for $2.00 - but the tag on the photo insert said it was from Hobby Lobby. It's so cute!

Trinket Box - $2.00

Then, I covered it with scrapbook paper strips. My gram's favorite color is green, so I used that color as the theme for the project...


Next, I started looking through my bins of treasures! I have TONS of old books, greeting cards, and other do-dads for crafting that I gather throughout my garage sale adventures.  Eventually, here's what I came up with:

The finished piece

Allow me to explain the meaning behind each item...


50's Bathing Beauty - My gram loves to swim and tan!
Definitions - "wisdom" and "grandmother"
Scrabble E - Her first initial
Mickey Mouse - She took me to Disney World many times!
BINGO and Playing Cards - She enjoys playing games
"57" - The year she was married (1957)


Vintage "eve" letters - Her name
Recipe Instructions - She is an excellent baker
Clock - Her house has many clocks (chiming clocks remind me of her)
Definition - "generous"
Key - her home is always warm and inviting

The other two sides of the box have photo frames. I put one old photo of us together, and one recent photo...

 Gosh, I was adorable.

In case you were wondering, here's how the little drawers open up...


So that's that. Just a quick little craft on a snowy Friday night. Hope she likes it!

Take Time for Lemonade,
Kris

7 comments:

  1. WOW. This is one of your bests created treasures... hate to say it, but when is it my turn?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a really nice idea. I bet your Grandma will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...grandma is going to LOVE LOVE LOVE it! You are so creative!!! This is such a meaningful and thoughtful gift that she will treasure! Once again...HOME RUN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fantastic creation! You loved to do crafts at "neverland" at Sunnybrook and you're still a crafting queen! Keep on keepin' on! awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual. You make me proud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just too cute...and thoughtful. Like you!
    kayla

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm waiting for your next update.... Love Michelle

    ReplyDelete